OmniGroup's task management application OmniFocus, based on the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology of David Allen, has grown to one of the main topics of my blog. Since 2009 I have been collecting and writing about tips and tricks that help putting OmniFocus to work whether you are just starting with it or are looking for ways to improve your current setup or workflow. The collection of the most popular and essential OmniFocus posts below will hopefully help you to navigate the site a bit better if you are looking for help with your productivity setup. You can find all my OmniFocus posts by browsing the OmniFocus tag.
These posts should get you started with OmniFocus or improve your understanding of the general structure and features.
- Making Sense of Single Action Lists
- How to effectively use Folders in OmniFocus
- Defining and Managing Contexts in OmniFocus
- A Fresh Take on Context
- Creating a Today Perspective
- A Perspective for 'Waiting Fors' and Agendas
- The Ultimate Next Action Perspective
- Enhancing the Due Perspective
- Staying on Top with a Daily Routine and OmniFocus
- OmniFocus Minimalism: Getting Up and Running in 5 Minutes
The More Advanced Stuff
If your are looking to hack your OmniFocus experience and improve the integration with other tools in your workflow the below posts are for you.
- The May 4th OmniFocus Theme
- The Top 5 OmniFocus AppleScripts
- The Ultimate Perspective Icons
- Get Evernote and OmniFocus Talking
- Linking Evernote notes and OmniFocus Tasks
- Tracking Project and Actions with OmniFocus and TextExpander
- Saved Searches in Perspective
- Integrating Outlook 2011 for Mac and OmniFocus
- Search an Open OmniFocus Projects with Alfred
- Tracking 'Waiting For' Emails in OmniFocus
My OmniFocus Ebook (in the making)
Early in 2012 I announced my plans to write an ebook about OmniFocus for Mac. It is not meant to become a manual of sorts, but a collection of real-life examples of how to best put OmniFocus to work. My current plans are to release the ebook with or shortly after OmniGroup's release of OmniFocus for Mac 2.0 which currently is said to happen early 2013 although OmniGroup traditionally does not commit any release dates. I have created a small mailing list for folks that like to support my effort by answering a few questionnaires and providing early feedback on parts of the book. If you like to join please sign-up. Thanks. If you only like to be informed when the ebook releases, please sign up to this mailing list.
Other OmniFocus Resources
My blog is definitely not the only source when it comes to OmniFocus tips and tricks. The OmniGroup and a number of fellow bloggers share fantastic content that helps with your productivity setup as well. Make sure you also check out the below sites.
- Using OmniFocus by Kourosh Dini: eBook and Audiobook about OmniFocus plus a great blog and resource page
- David Spark's OmniFocus posts and screencasts at MacSparky.com
- Jeff Hunsberger's OmniFocus for Beginners Series
- The awesome collection of OmniFocus AppleScripts by Justin Lancy on his Veritrope.com site
- Dan Byler also has hacked around with OmniFocus scripting quite a bit on bylr.net
- Integration with Alfred and a few other applications is what Don Southard posts about on dirtdon.com
- The OmniGroup themselves over some very good resources incl. a white paper on OmniFocus and GTD as well as very lively user forums
Finally you will find many of the people I read and listen to covering OmniFocus topics on an infrequent basis.